Wednesday, 6 February 2013
Panforte di Siena
Makes 1 cake:
All purpose flour (85g)
Black pepper (1/4 tsp)
Cinnamon (1/2 tsp)
Nutmeg (1/2 tsp - ground)
Cloves (1/4 tsp - ground)
Ginger (1/4 tsp - ground)
Corianders (1/4 tsp - ground)
Cacao ( 2 tbsp - powder)
Hazelnuts (1 cup - coarsely chopped)
Almonds (1/2 cup - coarsely chopped)
Candied orange peel (1 tbsp - chopped)
Honey (2/3 cup)
Muscovado Sugar (2/3 cup)
Dried Figs (1 cup - chopped)
1) Preheat oven to 150C/300F. Line a baking tin with baking paper and margarine.
2) In a bowl, mix nuts, chopped dried or candied fruit, flour and spices.
3) Melt honey and sugar over low heat. Stir the melted sugar and honey into the fruit and nuts. The dough is so firm it can be mixed and formed by hand.
4) Place the dough in the baking tin and bake for 40 minutes.
5) Leave the Panforte to cool on a wire rack.